Sunday, October 09, 2005

CULTURE: Driving in Kentucky

Kentucky might not strike you as the most remarkable State but to me it is in one aspect: I love driving here. If you see a car with a Kentucky license plate you can be sure that the driver is laid back and considerate. The plate itself already reflects this spirit with its smiling sun and "Kentucky: It's that friendly" printed on it. You can change lanes last minute without problems and traffic jams only occur at four way stops because everyone insists on the other driver having the right of way.



Last week I stopped a little abruptly at a red light and the content of my open handbag emptied itself onto the floor in front of the passenger's seat. My handbag is not one of the puny ones that you see nowadays so there was quite a pile of items for me to collect. I leaned over and dove down to start gathering my purse, pens, notepad, tissues, lipstick, hand lotion, camera, map of Canada, four issues of Runner's World and my Smalltalk made Easy for Germans book. When I emerged back from the depths of my car the light was still red. Strange. I could have sworn it took my a while to get everything back into my handbag. On the other hand, if the light had changed to green while I was preoccupied someone would have honked, right? Maybe I didn't have anyone behind me. I glanced into the rear view mirror and didn't believe what I saw.
Next to the minivan behind me, a family of five had set up everything for lunch. Like having a tailgate party, Dad was cooking the burgers while Mom was handing out appetizers to the kids sitting on folding chairs. I got out of my car and approached the family. "I'm so sorry I made you wait," I said, slightly embarrassed. "Why didn't you honk?" - "Don't you worry," Dad replied. "We are not in a hurry. You take your time. Care for a burger?" Well, I haven't had lunch yet and it was kind of getting late...

I realize that this doesn't happen everywhere in the States. I'm still in awe that I survived driving in San Francisco, and I wouldn't count on too many patient drivers in New York City. Driving there most likely compares to driving in Germany.

On one of my trips to Berlin I experienced the impatience of a German driver first hand. The street I was on had a separate light for the left turn lane. That was where I was waiting at the red light when a car stopped behind me and the driver immediately started honking the horn. Turning up the volume of my car stereo didn't help at all. At that time, I wasn't that much into Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, and Wham! just didn't stand a chance against the constant noise from behind. By the way, I'm well aware that there are no excuses for listening to Wham! What can I say? I was young... Oh, and you might as well admit that you don't mind listening to Last Christmas either, when it is that time of the year.
The guy behind me still hadn't stopped honking and I decided it was time to take action. I emerged from my car and walked up to the car behind me. "What seems to be the problem?" I asked the impatient driver. "Why did you stop?" he shouted at me. I couldn't believe it. "You may not have noticed but there is a separate light for the left turn lane. And I have the strange habit of stopping at red lights." - "Well, it's green now. So, chop, chop, get moving!" he replied. I quickly jumped aside not to get hurt as he accelerated his car and passed my vehicle. It took me a moment to calm down. By the time I was back in my car the light had turned red again and I heard the familiar sound of a horn...

You may understand now why I avoid driving when I am in Germany for a visit. Kentucky has spoiled me. Unfortunately, the days of the friendly plate are numbered. Apparently, the smiling sun was too happy for the taste of many so that it won't survive its projected five years: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8598104/

Will the new license plate change the spirit of driving in Kentucky from friendly to unbridled?

I'll keep you posted.

Bis bald,
SAPgirl

No comments: