Sunday, October 09, 2005

BITS & PIECES: The Retreat

"What ever happened to the quiet days?" the really nice guy asked me not too long ago. "You know, the weekends that I spent in front of the computer without leaving the house once." I have to admit, since we've been dating there weren't too many quiet times. Somehow, there's always something going on. "Well," I said, "There is a retreat I would like to go to. The best trainer of all has invited me and I'll be gone all weekend." The sentence was still floating in the air and the really nice guy was already planning at least three quiet projects around the house.

Since we wouldn't see much of each other that weekend we met for lunch on Friday. I had just bought the new Melissa Etheridge CD (not very typical for me) and one of the songs had really touched me. "I found a song for my funeral," I announced when the really nice guy arrived at the restaurant. - 'The chicken is really good' would have been more applicable, I know, but I was still deeply moved by the song. "Well," he says, "why do you care about your funeral. You'll be dead." Good point. "I know. I just want it to be nice for the people that will be there," I replied. "Then you should let them pick the music," he suggested and I have to admit, it makes sense.

Later that day I left for the Sisters Of Charity Spirituality Center in Delhi, Ohio, with a borrowed bible, a bottle of wine, and a bag of expectations. There were several activities we could choose from that made it easy for me to have some quiet time myself. And I'm sure you won't believe me when I tell you that there was one suggested activity among watercolors, cross-stitch, and a fall walk that made me gasp when I read the instructions: 'Plan your own funeral' it said on the paper. Now, what a coincidence is that?

During dinner, the ladies at my table started talking about that very subject. Most of them had the same opinion as the really nice guy earlier - they didn't care. One of the women had an interesting thought. "I picture my soul hovering over the casket looking at the people that came to attend. Then I notice that something is wrong. 'Hey!' I would want to shout. 'Why are the flowers all pink? I specifically asked for dark red roses!'" And I have to agree with her. It's probably a good idea to let your relatives make decisions about your funeral arrangements.

Having said that, it seems to be a little difficult to end this post on a light note. Don't get me wrong, the retreat was a very positive and fun experience and I have to thank the best trainer of all that she invited me. My relatives will be glad to know that I picked up painting with watercolors a new hobby.

Will they be delighted to receive all kinds of masterpieces from now on as Christmas and birthday presents?

I'll keep you posted.

Bis bald,
SAPgirl

P.S. Since October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month I would like to recommend the songs "This Is Not Goodbye" and "I Run for Life" from Melissa Etheridge.

No comments: